Thursday 25 August 2011

Max/Msp to Kinect Via OSC for Offical Microsoft SDK


Today I finished the very first stages of my 4th year research project which was finding a way to take data from the Xbox Kinect and send it to Max/Msp. By using the Ventuz OSC C# wrapper i was able to pack all the X, Y, Z data for all the skeletal points into an OSC bundle and send that to Max where it was unpacked in the patch.

The data sent from the Kinect is the unchanged co-ordinate system of values in metres rangeing from -1 to 1.

That being said the data sent from Kinect to Max can be used by any device that is capable of reading OSC packets .The format of the OSC message is

/joint/skeleton_[1/2]/[joint] x, y, z

This is a simple implementation allows quick and easy access to the full power of the kinects skeletal tracking in windows for users of the offical SDK over OSC. I hope it can be of some use.

Download
MediaFire Mirror

9 comments:

  1. i have win7 and installed the kinectSDK64 and can't get a depth image and skeleton when running your program.the program runs but the window is white.do you have any idea what might be wrong?my email is qoupas@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jordan,

    This is awesome! I'm having trouble getting any OSC data to read in my patch though. I've linked the OSC-Route external, Opened the DepthView.exe, Opened Kinect for Max and opened port 7710. I'm not getting any OSC data in the skeleton patch.

    I even turned my firewall off to see if that was the problem but no luck.

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,

    when you open the program do you see the depth image and get the messages of player 1/2 being tracked?

    In maxmsp when you open the main patch and double click skeleton 1 do you see the data there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I love it it works great.
    Is it possible to use it also in processing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never used processing but i know it takes OSC messages. If you look at the documentation im sure there wouldnt be much to getting the data unpacked in processing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your very fast answer! I will check it out and let you know. Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello I have a problem. I want to use your program but I see no depth image in the program. With the kinect examples I have no problem. I have windows 7.

    It will be great if you can help me

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its becuase its using the old SDK i imagine. If you have the latest one recompile the source against it, if not try this one http://www.mediafire.com/?ljoxdh01fdorgmd

    it wont work i imagine against the kinect for windows SDK if your trying to use that

    ReplyDelete